Suitable for vegans and vegetarians
Makes about 8 generous slices.
Preparation – 5-10 minutes.
Cooking time – 1 hour
It’s so easy you just need a large mixing bowl, a lined loaf pan (approx. 4 X 8 inches) a wooden spoon and a fork for mashing the bananas
3-4 ripe bananas
75g (1/3 cup) ‘pure’ dairy free sunflower spread
100g golden caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
225g wholemeal spelt flour
½ cup sultanas
1 tablespoon lemon juice
60ml (1/4 cup) water or soya milk
1) Preheat the oven to 155 degrees C. Line the loaf tin with baking paper. Peel and Mash the bananas into the mixing bowl.
2) mix in the sunflower spread with the wooden spoon
3) mix in the sugar, vanilla essence and sprinkle in the baking soda and pinch of salt. Mix it up.
4) Add the flour and lemon juice and give it a stir and then add the rest of the liquid (either water or non-dairy milk) and give it all a good mix.
5) Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour.
6) Test the bread is baked through by inserting a skewer into the middle- it should come out clean with no mixture sticking to it. If its not done pop back into the oven for another 5 minutes and re-test.
7) Take the tin out of the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
Serve, sliced, with a little extra sunflower spread.