Suitable for vegetarians and vegans
Makes approximately 8 x 50g portions
This recipe makes for a great breakfast and a healthy snack food for anytime of the day. It is especially nice with yoghurt.
Choose extra fresh fruit toppings, such as banana or raspberries, or dried fruit options. The addition of a few dark chocolate chunks will make it extra special.
Whole rolled organic oats, 200g
Mixed nuts and seeds, 150g (The following selection works well; Pumpkin seeds (25g), sunflower seeds (25g), pine nuts (25g), flaked almonds (50g), hazel nut (25g). But use your favourites.)
Rapeseed oil or coconut oil, 50g
Runny Honey, 20g
Soft brown muscovado sugar, 20g
1) Preheat the oven to 100oC fan.
2) Combine the oats, nuts and seeds. (If you are using Pecan nuts add them to the granola after the cooking stage)
3) Gently heat the oil, sugar and honey in a large saucepan until the sugar crystals have just dissolved. Take off the heat.
4) Tip the dry ingredients into the oil and sugar and stir well to combine.
5) Spread the mixture on to a baking tray in a single layer and bake in the preheated oven at 100oC for 10 minutes. Keep an eye on the time -Do not let it burn!
6) Take out of the oven and leave to cool completely in the tin before stirring through any of the extra dried ingredients such as raisins, chocolate chips or pecans.
7) Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.