This recipe makes 14 large chocolate cup cakes
Dairy free & Gluten free.
Health warning: Only intended as a treat!!
You will need: weighing scales, Large muffin cases, a muffin baking tin, sieve, a set of bowels (large, medium, small), fork, spoons, electric mixer (optional),
200g Sunflower spread (eg. Vitalite)
200g Golden caster sugar
4 Eggs, free range, large, beaten.
unsweetended soya milk, 4 tablespoons (60ml)
150g White flour, self raising, gluten free (eg freee by Doves farm a blend of rice, potato, tapioca, maize and buckwheat)
50g Cocoa powder
50g Sunflower spread, or vegan butter
100g Icing sugar
1 tablespoons sieved Cocoa
A few twists of the sea salt mill.
- Set the oven to Fan 180oC/200oC conventional/ Gas 6.
- Put the large muffin cases in a muffin tin.
- Gently combine the flour and the cocoa.
- In a separate bowl beat together the butter and sugar until lighter in colour and no longer ‘grainy’.
- Add half the beaten eggs and 1 tablespoon of the flour + cocoa mix to the butter and sugar mixture. Combine well using a low speed on the electric mixer or with a spoon.
- Repeat step 5) with the rest of the egg.
- Using a fine sieve add the remainder of the flour + cocoa to the cake mixture and gently combine using the low setting on the electric mixer.
- Add the soya milk and gently mix until combined.
- Half fill the waiting muffin cases. Approximately 60ml (¼ cup) to each muffin case.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. (The cakes should be ‘springy’ on top when gently pressed with your index finger, if not they will need longer a few more minutes in the oven)
- Leave to completely cool (about 1 hour) before adding the icing to the top of the cakes.
To make the Icing (optional)
- Measure the spread or butter into a bowl.
- Gently combine the cocoa into the icing sugar with a spoon.
- Sieve the icing sugar + Cocoa mixture into the butter add a few twists of the seasalt mill and then combine well with an electric mixer or by hand.
- Transfer to the fridge to ‘firm up’ while the cakes cool.
- Add a generous dollop to each cake and enjoy or cover and Keep in the fridge for a few days.