Dairy Free. Gluten free. Healthy.
A source of Calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron and zinc.
Approximate values per portion (without chilli and lime prawns)- 380Kcal, fat 6.7g, carbs 62g, Protein 15g, Glycemic load 6.4 (Nutritics.com)
Ingredients for the salad
Egg or rice noodles, 1 nest per person, (check for gluten free if necessary)
Frozen Edamame Beans, 80g per person.
White onion, half finely chopped or sliced (this quantity is enough for 3 servings)
Carrot, 1 large, coarsely grated (this quantity is enough for 3 servings)
Ingredients for the dressing (serves 3).
Fresh ginger root, approximately 2cm3 , coarsely grated
Garlic clove, 1, crushed
Dark soy sauce, 1 tablespoon, (check for gluten free if necessary)
Sesame seed oil, 2 teaspoons
Honey, 1 teaspoon (optional)
Chinese 5 spice, 1 teaspoon
Japanese rice wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon
Garnish with: fresh leaf mint, coriander or basil, sweet chilli sauce… sunshine and a smile 🙂
- Cook the frozen edamame beans in a pan of boiling water according to the packet instructions. This usually takes 7 minutes. Drain the beans in a colander. Cool down the beans quickly by running water from the cold tap over them. Put to one side on the drainer to drain the excess water.
- Cook the noodles in a pan of boiling water for approximately 2-3 minutes and then refresh them with cold water (as you did with the edamame beans)
- Combine the dressing ingredients.
- Combine the cooked edamame, noodles, chopped onion, grated carrot and dressing in a large bowl. Transfer to the fridge until required.
- Serve with a sprinkle of your choice of fresh herb: chopped fresh mint/coriander/basil leaf and extra soy sauce/sesame oil/sweet chilli sauce.
Enjoy on its own as a light lunch or snack.
Delicious served with chilli and lime prawns.