Dairy and Gluten free and Vegan
High in fibre. A good source of iron, vitamin C and folic acid.
Preparation takes 15 minutes. Cooks for 1 hour in the oven or slow cooker.
Wonderful served on a slice of toast and sprinkled with fresh parsley, but also great at room temperature as a side dish.
3 tablespoons rapeseed oil
1 large onion
3 garlic clove
2 tablespoons tomato puree
1.5 X 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cinnamon stick
3 X 400g cans of cooked butter beans, drained (or cooked berlotti beans also work well)
1 tablespoon soy sauce (gluten free)
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 bay leaf
0.5 to 1 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
A handful of fresh parsley to scatter over the top
1) Heat the oven to 110oC fan or pre-heat the slow cooker on high.
2) Gently heat the oil in a large saucepan and tip in the onion and garlic. Cook slowly for about 10 minutes until the onions are soft but not browned.
3) Add the tomato puree and cook in the pan for a few minutes
4) Add the tinned tomatoes, sugar, cinnamon stick, bay leaf and smoked paprika and salt. Stir, and bring the pan back up to a gentle simmer
5) Add the drained beans to the tomato sauce, give them a good stir and bring the sauce back up to a gentle simmer.
6) When piping hot…Tip the beans and sauce mix into an oven proof dish (cover with a lid or some foil) or cook in the slow cooker for approximately 1 hour.
Note- cook for longer in the slow cooker for convenience, turn to the ‘low’ setting and maintain moisture levels with a top up of a little boiling water if necessary.
7) when ready to serve allow to cool for a few minutes, scatter with fresh parsley and perhaps a little drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
8) Refrigerate any leftovers and enjoy hot or cold the next day